Sunday, November 25, 2007

Famous Last Words- Round 1, Week 9

Until now I've mostly tried to avoid quoting lines from films based on great works of literature, since even people who haven't seen the movies in question might recognize them from the books. But it appears that I've broken that rule for Martin Scorsese's adaptation of Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence, the source of last week's quiz. For my money, it's a movie that is too often overlooked in Scorsese's filmography in favor of his grittier, more violent works. At the time of the film's release, the Merchant Ivory team was at the height of its creative powers, and some critics and audiences misinterpreted Age as Scorsese's stab at period-piece respectability. But handsome though it is, the film's voluptuous style and rigorous attention to detail are pure Scorsese, as are its passions, buried as they are under lavish costumes and regimented social manners. Time has been kind to The Age of Innocence, and I believe the film to be Scorsese's greatest masterpiece. Too few of you were able identify the film, but I'm hoping that its presence here will compel you either to give it a chance or to revisit it. It's well worth your time.

Already nine weeks into the game, and while it's far from over, I'm guessing that at least a few of you who are ahead are making plans for that $20 gift certificate from The Criterion Store that I'll be rewarding to the winner. If not, might I suggest holding on to it a few months in order to apply it to the release of one of these Bilge Ebiri- approved movies from 1987 that are getting the Criterion treatment in February?











I've never seen the Cox film, but based on what I've heard it sounds awfully intriguing.

Anyway, I realize I'm about a month ahead of schedule on this week's quote, but with the confusion of the holiday season (and the possibility of a tie-breaker round for this contest) I decided to go ahead and post it now:

“Although the truth is, with the passing of each New Year's Eve, those voices do seem to grow dimmer and dimmer.”

Name the movie. Remember, send your guesses to this e-Mail address by 11:59 Saturday night. See you next Sunday.