Thursday, August 07, 2008

You three-headed, shape-shifting, son of a bitch!


I know I’ll take some flak for this, but I enjoyed the hell out of the 1999 Mummy remake. Great cinema it’s not, but it’s got a Velveeta charm that goes down easy, and no goals other than showing the audience a good time (any movie that begins with its leading lady knocking over a library full of book shelves clearly isn’t aching to be taken seriously). However, the sequel The Mummy Returns is a bloated mess that doesn’t have nearly enough fun with itself, and unfortunately the latest installment in the series, The Mummy: Curse of the Dragon Emperor, is closer to the spirit of the second film than the first. It’s an OK time-waster, but not much more than that.

1 comment:

James said...

I hereby delete you from my links list for enjoying The Mummy.

Just kidding. I liked that one a lot. My parents dragged me to it when I was 14 and I was blown away that it didn't just blow.