Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Not quite stabbing yourself in the eye, but it's still self-inflicted...

So my birthday was last weekend. Per my request, my parents paid the registration fee for me at the local gym, and today was my first time there. I still have to pay the monthly fees, but since that averages a dollar per day it's not too bad. Now, I'm pretty out of shape, so I was really overdue to start working out regularly. And honestly, a gym is a better idea than just going downstairs and walking on the treadmill for a while and riding a bike when it's nice out. I guess that in a way I'm motivated by money, in the respect that I'm more likely to do something when I'm paying for it. Add to this that if I have to make time to go to the gym, I'll do it, instead of being able to say "oh, I'll just do the treadmill thing later" and putting it off indefinitely.

Anyway, I knew it'd be, um, interesting, since I am somewhat overweight and could stand to lose some pounds. I'm also dieting, so I think a combination of healthy eating and exercise would do me good. But while I had no illusions that my first day at the gym would be a cakewalk, I didn't think it'd be this bad. I jogged a little over a mile and rode the stationary bike for a few miles, but while this got me a tad winded it didn't get rough for me until I went swimming. After half a dozen lengths of the pool, I was done. I shuffled back to the locker room and crouched by the terlet for at least five minutes, expecting to throw up (I hadn't even eaten recently either). Eventually, I was able to get back to my feet, take a shower and change, but my body still feels like a strand of cooked pasta.

I guess the lesson here is to know my limits. Lesson learned. I'll be going back tomorrow, but I may just forego the pool for the time being.

Also, I'll be making an addition to My Top 100 List this afternoon, so keep an eye for it.

No comments: