Saturday, February 23, 2008

Best Supporting Performance (Female), 2007

But first, have you all seen this? Pretty cool, I think. Jim even ends the piece by saying: "It's still early in the evening. It must be: They haven't even presented Best Supporting Actress yet..."

Ask and you shall receive. To wit:


Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There (107 points/15 votes)

“It's far too easy to dismiss what Cate Blanchett does in I'm Not There as nothing but mimicry. Even if it had been just the mimicry, I think Blanchett would have deserved praise for her daring, not to mention for the precision of her performance. She doesn't just look like Dylan, she moves like him, talks like him, laughs like him. She nails his exterior, down to the unkept fingernails. But her performance is extraordinary because she goes past the exterior and offers glimpses of what's underneath. She manages to capture what made Dylan so fascinating and so seductive in that time, androgynous and off-putting, but magnetic. And most importantly, she lets the audience see -and even feel- just how uncomfortable Dylan was in his own skin. Her Jude is constantly in motion, constantly struggling against definition, frantically wiggling to escape the boxes people tried to fit him into. He's on top of the world, but unlike most characters in biopics he seems aware that there's always a downfall. He's infuriating and impossible to resist. And thanks to Cate Blanchett, he's just as complex as the man he's based on.” ~ Hedwig van Driel

Runners-up:
Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone (83/12)
Tilda Swinton, Michael Clayton (71/12)
Kelly Macdonald, No Country for Old Men (40/7)
Jennifer Garner, Juno (32/5)

Click here for complete results

5 comments:

Steve C. said...

I'm even more amazed that I'm the only vote for Linney than I am that I'm not the only vote for Weaver.

DANNY BALDWIN said...

Wow. Emerson's 'blog. Not bad for a 2nd anniversary, Paul, I must say.

And thank God Jennifer Garner cracked the Top 5. She gave the performance that resonated the most with me this year and, somehow, has been ignored by every voting body thus far.

Jason_alley2 said...

Dude, that's so cool! Wow.

I was the other Sigourney Weaver vote and was equally surprised I wasn't the only one!

DANNY BALDWIN said...

Speaking of Sigourney Weaver, what a hilariously unexpected cameo in BE KIND REWIND!

Scott W. Black said...

Possibly the best thing about Emerson's post is that it is - I think - going to be on top of his page throughout the weekend.