Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Criterion Watch, November 2008

In the interest of time, I'll get right to the good stuff.




First, the non-news this month is the release of two more titles that originally appeared in the Cassavetes box. Still, it's good news for me that they're doing this, since I would love to have Faces on my DVD shelf but have no pressing urge to own Shadows, or the no-doubt-upcoming Opening Night for that matter. I do wish they'd release some more new Cassavetes titles though- I'd love to see a Criterion Minnie and Moskowitz or Love Streams.



I missed this one at October Lean series at the Wexner Center, so nice to see it showing up here. I'm a little surprised I haven't seen this yet, since as a Laughton fan you'd think I'd be all over it. Also, noticed that Prunella Scales is in the cast, and it should be interesting to see Sybil Fawlty when she was younger.




Being a Bunuel fan, this is big news, especially the latter title, one of the "major" Bunuels I have yet to see. Future Review By Request, anyone?

Finally, this month's clue:

Some of you might be stumped by this one, but considering the location referenced here and the appearance of the masks, I'm pretty sure it's Peter Yates' awesome, long-unavailable for home viewing The Friends of Eddie Coyle. Good news indeed.

No comments: